Tuesday 24 April 2007

24 April - Tuesday

Well, it's been a busy week since I last wrote. We had a German couple in for 4 nights last week and then John and Rose came up from Alhaurin for Rose's birthday. John and Rose spent their honeymoon with us a couple of years back already and have stayed a few times more since. We had a couple of late nights with them and then we had the hen party.... and 6 rooms of guests on the same night!

The hen party was last Saturday night starting at 10.30. There were 34 women from the village in the end, quite a good crowd. It was a lot of fun actually. They were all calling me... "David!!! David!!" Later they a couple of them said they would have liked me and/or Ivan to do the dancer stripper bit but we don't do that! They had a very nice young Argentinian man in for that from Malaga... we left them to their fun when he was in there performing for them! Before I knew it, it was 3.00 AM. We were all dancing in the restaurant by then and several of the ladies wanted to dance with me and Ivan. In fact, one of them was teaching me how to dance Sevillana and Flamenco. I need to practice for sure but I did learn that one grabs the apple reaching very high from the tree, elegantly, bites it and then tosses it away behind you, curving/spinning the fingers. I asked if it was always an apple and the answer was yes! It was fun.

I found out that there are many people in the village that think I am very serious but was told that it was obviously not true and I should relax more, enjoy life, not worry about tomorrow (typical Andaluz approach to life, I must say and nothing wrong with that either). They do like us and think we’re very nice and (modestly I say this) handsome! The whole event was quite good for us as we got to interact with the village ladies in a different way than before. In fact, this party was probably the best one we’re had in the hotel so far! Ivan made a special cake to order for them that was a rather large, orange-chocolate penis with caramelized sugar for hair which was delicious. Of course the cake was a smash hit. I will be loading it up on our cakes website shortly along with the female version we had for Rob's stag party last month!

After the party wound down, we were asked to come down to the Tele-club, you know the one next to the Juzcar church, which we did. By this time it was after 4.00. When we walked in to find a good crowd, I was immediately called over to where few of the guys were. I looked over at them and said “Who, me?” “Si, si, ven aqui David!”, they said. So I walked over and was immediately picked up and tossed in the air by about five of the guys including the groom to be! It was very nice and fun as well. Ivan got the same treatment after me. After sipping one drink for a while and watching a few of the boys doing that flamenco clapping, fast and hard to the rhythm, we headed home as it was about 5.oo by then and we had breakfast at 09.30 for the hotel guests.

Actually we didn’t make it to the hotel until 10AM but they were all fine with that, no one was waiting outside the dining room door when we arrived. We decided to be closed after they all left as we were absolutely wrecked and it was raining anyway so we didn’t think we would be disappointing anyone passing by. We were also told that this party was a very good thing for the village; I guess they mean that a lot of the people are coming together for this and any bad blood, so to speak, has been put aside so it is all good for us as well in our relations with the village folk.

The bar and restaurant were cleaned up Monday although I did clean up the restaurant Sunday morning, clearing tables of glasses and bottles and dirty ashtrays & table cloths.

Yesterday afternoon we were asked if the boys could have the stag party here for the groom this coming Saturday. They will be more participants, 40-50 men, and they will no doubt drink more. This coming weekend is a long one as 01 May is a national holiday in many European countries. So far we only have two rooms booked for Saturday night. I don't think having the stag event will be a problem for our guests either. I must say though, a male event is very different to the female event as the boys tend to drink heavier than the ladies so we shall see.

Next Friday is also our first music night in the bar / restaurant as well so we have been very busy these last few days preparing, advertising, etc.

The radio interview this morning on REM-FM in San Pedro went quite well I think. I suppose we shall know how well it went depending on how much business, if any, comes our way as a result of it.

The weather yesterday and today has finally become spring like. The ambient temperature is quite comfortable while being in the sun is the same as always... hot!

Hasta la proxima.