Sunday 1 February 2009

IT's been raining all night and most of the day since I got up. Not a nice day for walks with the dogs. The weather was springlike Thursday and Friday so this rain again is a disappointment.

Next weekend is Valentine's Day. We have an offer on our website and I have taken a couple of bookings for it already and have received several queries. Hopefully we will be half full at least for the night.

The village has installed speed bumps throughout the village on the main street as traffic did pass too fast though here. It's a pretty significant "bump"; it was completed in November. This week it changed color. Yes, it was painted red and then Friday, white lines were painted onto it. This is a classic Zebra crossing, only thing is you can't use this "cross-walk" to get to the other side as there is a fence there and a 10-20 foot drop. Funny, the speed bump was required, but then the rules for speed bumps require the thing to be painted like a cross walk even though you can not cross it on foot as it were. Well, this should not surprise you.

Hey, I got some good news on Friday. After waiting for four years, having originally applied in January 2005, I now have a Spanish residency card, finally... picked it up on Friday and then I immediately applied for my Spanish driving license. As I have a Dutch one, I should not have to take a written exam or a driving road test but my Dutch license expires in April so I needed to get the process rolling ASAP. My advisor told me the process could be "lengthy" as "they" (ESP DMV I presume) will send my original Dutch license to Holland for verification of validity (no surprise with that as nothing happens fast here). In the meantime I have no European driving license so hopefully I won't get stopped by a traffic cop (that is to say I still have a US driving license but it would be nuisance to be stopped). Ah, the novelties of Spanish paperwork and bureaucracy.

So the almond flowers have finally started to arrive. This year they are quite late in arrival as normally we see them in December and it is now February. I guess all this rain will help.